September 11, 2011

Background Concept : The Springs

Something that I made by complete accident, but wound up being very proud of.

The Springs by Chase Restrepo


  • This isn't how you should work, but I had a foreground that I drew this AROUND, and I rather liked the sketch, so I decided to take it beyond just that.
  • I put in the basic colors of each section after I finalized the composition.
  • After that, I darkened everything to give it the night time feel I wanted, and worked over that.
  • I added in layers of colors with different textured brushes until I got up to the highlights. I was very careful throughout this whole process to keep the many light sources consistent.
  • After all the painstaking work of adding on colors by scratch, I added in the actual bright light sources, and the brightest highlights.
  • Now I turned my attention to the water, and duplicated all the layers I had thus far, and flipped them over to resemble a reflection, applied a ripple filter, and did several other hours of tweaking and experimenting with it until I got it right.
  • I added some color adjustments over the whole thing and was done with.


Media: Photoshop, Photoshop basic and textured brushes
Time Taken: 6 hours approximately
Made in: February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment