September 9, 2011

Skulls and Glows

This one is a bit older, made for the concentration of my AP portfolio back in 12th grade. The idea was centered around Skulls.

Brimming by Chase Restrepo


  • First I set up what I was actually drawing. I started from observation, but obviously...my light source was a limited one, so I worked from a photo in the last half of completion. This is a real coyote skull with a green 6" glow stick set inside the mouth. Set on a glass top table for reflectiveness.
  • Again, I start with a black canvas and start to block in basic shapes in a very dark green, mapping out where the main areas needing my attention would be.
  • I gradually go in with brighter and brighter greens, attempting to match the actual colors as closely as possible without using blending modes.
  • I add on the final highlights after going through all the values of green. Between the upper/lower teeth, and inside the eye socket are the most lit up areas.
  • I go in and fix up some areas that need refining, but I didn't need to do much to this one, this is a very simple piece in ways of color and composition.


Media: Photoshop, basic brushes
Time Taken: About 3 hours
Made in: April 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment