January 29, 2012

Cool Butt : Story

It's time for a bit of a story, folks.

This past summer (July/August 2011), I took up a baby sitting job. I normally wouldn't, as I do not do very well with kids unless I am painting on their faces, but the kids I would be taking care of were the niece and nephew of a close friend. Plus I needed some money for the coming school year. I accepted, and woke up at 6 AM every morning to ride my bike there, and came back on it at 3:30 - 4 PM every weekday.
The bike ride wasn't very long, three minutes at most, I could have walked if I wanted. The mornings were crisp and pleasant, but the afternoon ride home varied with the weather. This was also the first summer EVER that I was finally graced with the privilege of having an air conditioner in my room.

It was the day after I got it, and it was sweltering. I put on the news and found myself watching about three cumulative hours of heat warnings, the symptoms of heat stroke, how to keep cool, and urging the public to stay hydrated. I nearly passed out myself, even though I applied every single staying cool trick that still allowed me to watch the little monsters buzzing around me. I was happy to go home and get to know my new AC, but there was one last hurdle I had to clear … the ride back home. I figure that walking would only prolong my exposure to the stifling heat despite the fact that the effort would have been less, so I chose the quicker path to cool air and mounted my bike.

I will not summarize the arduous trip in full, as I am sure every human being could predict my choice of words in such a situation. But when I got home, I blasted past everyone at home waiting for me and turned on my AC to maximum power, dropped my pants, found a stool to stand on, and placed my posterior right in front of the vent. My relief was glorious. Glorious enough, in fact, to be comical; and in turn, comical enough to warrant an illustration.

Cool Butt (Featuring Hazel)

No comments:

Post a Comment